Listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 25, 1983 (Smithsonian Number 48UT1121) as a contributing structure within the Downtown Evanston Historic District in Evanston, Wyoming, Hotel Evanston is a three-story attached commercial structure with a flat roof and full basement.
Built in 1912 by George Spencer and Jos Bird, Sr. to accommodate Evanston's growing need to comfortably service the region's railway visitors, Hotel Evanston was a "high-class and up-to-date hostelry thoroughly modern, inviting and comfortable in every detail". The building's original design included a hotel lobby, restaurant, kitchen and meeting rooms on the ground floor, and a total of “fifty finely furnished, well ventilated and inviting rooms” on the second and third floors.
Through the years, Hotel Evanston has experienced a number of uses ranging from a first class hotel and restaurant to a bus station and diner. It has been unoccupied and out of service since the mid-1980's.
With the commitment and vision to revitalize the Downtown Evanston Historic District, the City of Evanston Urban Renewal Agency purchased the building in 2001, and engaged the services of Dubbe-Moulder Architects, PC to stabilize and rehabilitate Hotel Evanston and return it back to its original glory as a contributing member of the local community.